This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something, I may earn a commission. Thanks.”
Rainy days can sometimes put a damper on our plans, but that doesn’t mean we have to stay indoors and be bored. In fact, there are plenty of fun activities to enjoy and places to visit even when the weather isn’t ideal. In this blog, I’ll be sharing some of the best places to go and things to do when it’s raining.
So whether you’re looking for indoor activities to keep you entertained or outdoor experiences that are better in the rain, I’ve got you covered. From cozy cafes to museums, from scenic hikes to movie theaters, there’s something for everyone on this list.
We took trips to our local library to read some books, and they also offered free arts and crafts for children; we went to the movies (some movie theaters have a free movie day, check with your local theater) and visited our local supermarket for a free cooking class.
- Morristown Game Vault http://www.morristowngamevault.com/
- Marcade Family Fun Center https://marcade.us/
- YESTERcades of Westfield http://yestercades.com/
- Rack N Roll Family Fun Center http://www.racknroll.biz/
- Gamers Paradise https://www.gpvideogames.com/
- South Beach Arcade https://www.gpvideogames.com/
- Silverball Arcade Museum https://silverballmuseum.com/
Thomas Edison National Historical Park is at 211 Main Street, West Orange, NJ 07052. Take a blast into the past as you walk into Thomas Edison’s laboratory and see where his inventions were created. They have Park rangers who offer an educational tour of the life and times of Thomas Edison. There are several buildings to visit on the property. You will spend one to two hours exploring the grounds. Free parking is available. Ticket prices are $15 per person; you can also sign up for an annual pass. The museum opens from 10 am – 4 pm.
Liberty Science Center is located at 222 Jersey City Boulevard, Jersey City, NJ 07305. The Science Center is open daily from 9 am 5:30 pm with plenty of free parking space. Liberty Science Center is a science museum with interactive exhibitions, a planetarium, movie theater, and also holds camps throughout the year.
Sky Zone Trampoline Park is located in many towns, so you can Google the closest park near you. Sky Zone is an indoor trampoline park that lets you get your bounce on! They hold private birthday events and are open daily. Check Groupon for local deals on prices.
Circle Bowl & Entertainment
List of Indoor Mini Golf
- New Jersey State Museum Trenton, NJ https://www.state.nj.us/state/museum/
- Princeton University Art Museum Princeton, NJ https://artmuseum.princeton.edu/
- Newark Museum Newark, NJ https://www.newarkmuseum.org/
- Montclair Art Museum Montclair, NJ https://www.montclairartmuseum.org/
- Old Barracks Museum Trenton, NJ http://www.barracks.org/
- Garden State Discovery Museum Cherry Hill, NJ http://www.discoverymuseum.com/
- Zimmerli Art Museum New Brunswick, NJ http://www.zimmerlimuseum.rutgers.edu/
- Dreyfus Planetarium, Newark, NJ
Adventure Aquarium, Camden, NJ https://www.adventureaquarium.com/
Even though rainy weather can put a damper on your outdoor plans, there are still plenty of fun things to do and see in New York City. Here are some indoor places to visit in the rain:
- American Museum of Natural History: This museum features fascinating exhibits about dinosaurs, mammals, human culture, and much more. It’s a perfect place to spend a rainy day.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art: One of the world’s largest and most comprehensive art museums, the Met has a vast collection that spans thousands of years and cultures.
- The New York Public Library: This historic library is home to millions of books, manuscripts, and artifacts, as well as exhibits and events.
- The Whitney Museum of American Art: Located in the Meatpacking District, the Whitney features contemporary American art and hosts special exhibitions and events.
- Chelsea Market: This indoor market features gourmet food vendors, unique shops, and local artisans. It’s a great place to sample food and shop for souvenirs.
- Broadway shows: There are plenty of Broadway shows to choose from in New York City, from musicals to plays. Check out what’s playing and book your tickets in advance.
- The Empire State Building: You can still get great views of the city on a rainy day by visiting the Empire State Building’s observation deck. Just be sure to bring an umbrella!
- The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum: This museum is located on a retired aircraft carrier and features exhibits on aviation, space travel, and military history.
- The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA): This museum is home to one of the world’s finest collections of modern and contemporary art, featuring works by Picasso, Warhol, and other great artists.
- The 9/11 Memorial & Museum: This moving museum pays tribute to the victims of the 9/11 attacks and tells the story of that fateful day.
If you’re in Pennsylvania and looking for indoor activities to do on a rainy day, here are some suggestions:
- Visit the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia – this museum features interactive exhibits on science, technology, and history.
- Explore the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh – with exhibits ranging from dinosaurs to minerals to ancient Egypt. There is something for everyone.
- Spend the day at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia – this museum offers a deep dive into the history and significance of the US Constitution.
- Take a tour of Hershey’s Chocolate World in Hershey, Pennsylvania – learn about the chocolate-making process and taste some delicious treats.
- Check out the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia – this indoor market features a wide variety of food stalls and vendors selling everything from baked goods to fresh produce.
- Visit the State Museum of Pennsylvania in Harrisburg – this museum features exhibits on the state’s history, geology, and culture.
- Explore the Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh – this museum houses the largest collection of Warhol’s artwork, including paintings, photographs, and sculptures.
- Take a trip to the Please Touch Museum in Philadelphia – this museum is designed for children and features interactive exhibits on art, science, and imagination.
- Spend a day at the Philadelphia Museum of Art – with over 240,000 works of art. This museum has something for every art lover.
- Check out the Lancaster Science Factory in Lancaster – this interactive science museum is designed for children and offers hands-on exhibits on topics like physics, chemistry, and engineering.
Connect with Me
[…] It’s Raining! 25+ Fun Indoor Places to Visit to Stay Dry – The Traveling Aquarianhttps://thetravelingaquarian.com/2020/09/29/rainy-days-fun-indoor-activities/ […]
[…] It’s Raining! 25+ Fun Indoor Places to Visit to Stay Dry – The Traveling Aquarianhttps://thetravelingaquarian.wpcomstaging.com/2020/09/29/rainy-days-fun-indoor-activities/ […]
[…] It’s Raining! 25+ Fun Indoor Places to Visit to Stay Dry – The Traveling Aquarian […]
[…] I don’t think it’s ever too cold to have fun skating on the ice, racing down the snowy hill on a tube, or skiing down some slopes. Last year I brought a pair of sleds and had fun. For a moment I was one of the kids sliding down the hill screaming and wiping out in a pile of snow. The best thing after is coming home to some warm cocoa. Get out and put on your ice skates, get a snow tube, or go skiing. If it’s too cold out and you prefer to stay indoors check out https://thetravelingaquarian.com/rainy-days-fun-indoor-activities/ […]