DISCLAIMER: This blog contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I will receive a small commission. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue to make articles like this.
A Cherry Blossom is a flower of several trees of genus Prunus serrulata, which is called Sakura after the Japanese. The cherry blossom is the flower of Japan. The Sakura represents a time of renewal and optimism. This marks the ending of winter and signifies the beginning of spring. The beautiful pink flowers that fill the trees are an experience to see.
There will be festivals held in many cities celebrating the blossoming of the flowers. The peak bloom lasts for a short time. With everyone missing out on 2020 events due to the pandemic this is something to look forward to. Make sure to social distance and wear masks when heading out to the following events.
The best time to see the blossoms are from April 4-April 20 each year it can change due to rain or high winds.
Bloom Watch for National Cherry Blossom 🌸 Festivals!
You can call most locations before heading out for your visit to see if they have bloomed to save a trip. The big festivals will be held in New Jersey, New York, Washington DC, and Philadelphia.
AVOIDING THE CROWDS
So, you made it to the Cherry Blossom festival, and you are ready to take some memorable photos. The only thing is hundreds of other people there with the same idea. You try to get some photos but there someone is in every shot that you take. The trees bloom for a short time so everyone will be out. Some will even have blankets sitting on the grass spending the entire day at the festivals.
I suggest going EARLY in the morning before 9 am or close to sunset to take photos. Going during the rain will get you little to no crowds at all. Most visitors will prefer to go on sunny days.
NEW JERSEY PARKS with Cherry Blossom Trees: Verona Park, Horseshoe Lake, Warinanco Park, Canterbury Park, and Degnan Park.
Check out my blog below for some beautiful gardens that have Cherry Blossom Trees!
CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVALS
- BRANCH BROOK PARK CHERRY BLOSSOM 2021 Newark/Belleville, NJ https://www.newarkhappening.com/cherry-blossom-festival/
- THE FRIENDS OF THE Frelinghuysen Morris Township, NJ https://www.arboretumfriends.org/
- CENTRAL PARK New York, NY http://www.centralparknyc.org
- RIVERSIDE PARK New York, NY https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/riverside-park
- BROOKLYN BOTANICAL GARDEN Brooklyn, NY https://www.bbg.org/collections/cherries
- SUBARU CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL Philadelphia, PA http://japanphilly.org/programs/festivals/subaru-cherry-blossom-festival/
- SHOFUSO Japan American Society Philadelphia, PA http://japanphilly.org/shofuso/
- WASHINGTON DC CHERRY BLOSSOM 2021 Washington, DC https://cherryblossomwatch.com/